Reviewing Article about Buddhism

Last January 10, 2010, Ross Douthat in his opinion column in the New York Times discussed Buddhism in Lets Talk About Faith.  He defended Fox Newss Brit Hume after Hume recommended that Tiger Woods convert from Buddhism to Christianity  Hes said to be a Buddhist.  I dont think that faith offers the kind of forgiveness and redemption that is offered by the Christian faith.  Tiger Woods confessed his Buddhist faith (and how he strayed away from it) over the international air waves during his apology after committing acts of infidelity.  Indeed, as Illuminati Healing and Developing the Mind mentions, Tiger Woods declares Buddhism has been a major role in my life. It has given me an inner peace and calmness that I think I wouldnt have achieved at such an early age. I owe that to my mom. I dont practice Buddhism on a day-to-day basis, just when I feel like it. When Im feeling weak, thats usually when I practice it.   He would confess later though that he strayed away from the path.

Hume received mockery from other media like the Daily Show.  The audience all laughed after Humes statement was broadcasted since it was ridiculous.  But Douthat defends Hume since, as Douthat says, Christians believe in a personal God who forgives sins. Buddhists, as a rule, do not.  He is mistaken.  Buddhists in Thailand, where Tigers mother comes from, believe in supernatural deities that look after them and forgive them of wrong doing.  Douthat also says the Buddhists dont have concepts such as divine judgment and damnation.  But he is wrong again.  Thai Buddhists believe in the idea of hell, just as they believe in Mara who tempts them to do wrong.

Douthat has a mistaken belief that all Buddhists are atheists.  Obviously, he doesnt know what hes talking about.  Buddhism has a very broad range, and most Buddhists are not California Zen practitioners.

0 comments:

Post a Comment