Eastern Religious Traditions and My Personal Sense of Worship

Religion has played a very significant role in the shaping of human history. It has tremendous contributions on cultural practices, beliefs and even laws in many countries. Religion also offered a perspective of life that is based on a higher level of understanding and realization. For centuries, people look up to religion for answers to almost all their questions. Because of the many beliefs and practices brought about by religion, people were also adamant in both mind and spirit to prove the correctness of their practice to a point that they fight for their religions to justify its greatness.

Alongside the belief in certain faith are the rituals that are associated with it. These rituals may serve as expression of worshiping a higher being whom they believe as the one responsible for their lives and in everything that is happening around. Ritual actions associated with worshiping are expressed in different religions particularly in the Eastern countries in which religion plays a crucial part on how they perceive the world and their lives. Worship can be observed in people going to church or temples and offering something to a statue as a sign of appreciation and gratitude. Other religions express worship by praying morning and night with palms together and holding some symbolic bead-work. Each religion has its own ritual of practicing worship.

My personal view on worship is more of an idea that is closely related to that of the Buddhist traditions in Asia, specifically, the Nichiren Buddhism. Nichiren Buddhism according to Hochswender, Martin and Morino (2001) is a sect of Mahayana Buddhism whose teachings are based on the highest teaching of Shakyamuni Buddha called, the Lotus Sutra. The Lotus Sutra is accordingly the penultimate teachings of Shakyamuni expounded on the last years of his life of teaching people how to live life the right way.

Worship for me is not about beseeching an external force to give me strength to face my difficulties. I dont even call it worshiping, but rather a meditation. It is not about following a strict code of conduct on doing a daily ritual but more of mustering my own mind to think positive and believe in the vast potentials within me. My concept of worship can be practiced in any setting, by people from all walks of life and in any circumstances. This idea of worship is close to that of the Buddhist traditions wherein practitioners believe that Buddhahood is not something that is so far away from them. It exists in their own heart and that they do their daily ritual of meditation to bring forth that Buddha nature within and manifest it through wisdom and compassion in their daily realities. In other words, worshiping for me is not about praying to someone else but praying to yourself to bring out those vast potentials one have in the depths of ones life.

My sense of worship ritual is something one can practice despite the hectic schedule of daily life. I can just sit quietly in a place where I can find much comfort and peace of mind. I can also chant a phrase, or close my eyes for a while and think positively so as to make the whole day in rhythm with my life. This sense of worship I believe is very much related to Buddhism which is one of the worlds major religions that originated in the East. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment